Day-to-day operations are led by GNG’s Executive Director/CEO and staff, and the Board plays a critical role in shaping our strategic direction and capacities. All Board members are encouraged to serve on a committee or work on a special project that takes full advantage of their expertise and/or interests.
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director/CEO as they develop and implement GNG’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by GNG for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Approving GNG's annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director/CEO
- Assisting the Executive Director/CEO and Board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board members
- Serving on committees or taking on special assignments
- Actively promoting GNG’s work
Fundraising : Board members consider GNG their philanthropic priority and make annual “give or get” gifts that reflect that priority. GNG expects to have 100 percent of Board members make (or raise) an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Board Terms/Participation: Board members typically serve one-year terms. Board meetings are held four times annually, and committee and/or special projects meetings are held on an as-needed basis. Board meetings are held via conference call, with the exception of the fall meeting, for which Board members meet in person at GNG’s headquarters in New York City.
The Board member position is volunteer-based, and is therefore without remuneration. With few exceptions, Board members are responsible for covering their own travel and housing expenses while attending GNG Board meetings or special events.